Friday, September 18, 2009

Sad News.

My first puppy, Casco, a sheltie, who I've had since I was seven passed away today. He had fluid around his heart and lungs that was making it hard for him to breathe. He turned 12 on July 24th this year. He had a nice long life and we loved him dearly. Casco is probably playing with his older cousin Topper right now, who died a few years ago. They were best friends for life. Whenever we mentioned the name "Topper" Casco's ears would perk up and he would get so excited. They loved each other. Casco is named after Casco, Maine. People joke about him being named "Costco", but he never let that bother him. He was the most bashful dog. Whenever you told him you loved him he would turn his head and look at you out of the corner of his eye and if you said it again he would just switch directions and turn his head the other way, still looking at you. I remember the first time we took him home. I immediately called my oldest best friend, Xani, that I got a puppy! We were in second grade and obsessed with dogs. She was so jealous. Casco didn't like to swim although he loved sitting on the rocks in Maine. He swam once when we threw a bagel in the water. We have a picture of Casco in the snow as a puppy with the most human smile you will ever see. I remember the first time he went to the bathroom outside properly...my whole family watched it and we applauded him. Casco sat staring at us and slowly inched his tush backwards like he was embarrassed. It was the sweetest thing I've ever seen.
I grew up with Casco and he is a part of my family and I will always miss him until I meet him again. And now Harpswell, my younger more popular dog in recent years (since Casco got sick.), is left without his brother. I know Casco's life was greatly restored and lengthened by Harpswell's youthful exuberance. I'm grateful to Harpswell for needing Casco because I think it made Casco's need and want to live greater especially after Topper passed away. I'm sad that when I go home he won't be there. I'm sad that he won't be there to harass me when I'm eating pizza or a banana (his favorite foods.) I'm sad on Christmas morning I won't be able to thank him for the presents signed "Casco" and I'm sad that we'll hang his stocking out of tradition just like we do for our deceased cat, Alfie.
I have to remember that now they are reunited and Alfie has family in heaven now and Casco is finally at peace. He's sprinting around a huge green yard with Topper jut like he did when he was young and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment